Helping parents of children ages 0-5 create the family they want

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Milestone Madness

When children are reaching a major mental or physical milestone, their ability to control their behavior often decreases substantially. I always tell myself that's the light at the end of the tunnel - when they hit that milestone, their behavior will dramatically improve.

Keep this in mind if your child suddenly starts to say no to everything, acts out, whine, or cry at night. Do a quick review of what you've been doing - am I consistent? am I making enough time just for my child? has anything else major changed? If your answers are yes, yes, and no....just take heart, keep doing what you're doing, and the next thing you know, your child will be pulling up, talking, or singing the alphabet song. These "milestone madness" periods usually last a week to ten days.

No comments: