Helping parents of children ages 0-5 create the family they want

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Welcome to the Toddler Taming Blog!

It's finally happened. I've started a blog! Watch out world...

Seriously, though, I'd like to share a few things about myself, the reasons I started this blog, and what I hope you'll find here.

I've been working with children ever since I was old enough to babysit. I took Education as a minor in college, and then pursued a Montessori teacher certification. I have worked at preschools, daycare centers, as a nanny, and most recently a mom and a parenting coach. In all of these roles, it has been my goal to help parents create peaceful families with ther young child. I'm passionate about helping families to create a dynamic that leads to happy, well behaved, loving children, and happy, kind, nurturing parents.

I believe that from the time you bring your baby home from the hospital, there are things you can do to set the tone of your household. Every interaction with your baby creates changes in their behavior, some big, some too small to see. This time period from birth to age five is critical in creating the family style that you want for the rest of your life. Your child is writing the first draft of their "Instructions for Life" during these years.

But, learn how children learn, and what their subconscious goals are (I hate to say subconscious, because that brings to mind all kinds of complicated freudian stuff -- what I mean here is that your child always has a reason for what they do. They might not know and be able to explain to you why they do what they do, but there is a reason, and you can figure it out.), and you can re-write their instruction book and create peace in your family.

In future posts, I plan to discuss: what a peaceful family looks like, first steps to taming your toddler, why what children want what they want (and why meeting their needs isn't always good for them), some different ways to get your child to sleep (one will work for your family!), how to prevent the "terrible twos" - or at least make them not-so terrible, and more. I'm also more than happy to answer specific parenting questions readers want to send in.

No comments: